Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Big Yellow Taxi

Isn't it amazing how much the landscape changes over time? When first working at the U, I would ride along on the #2 bus and, through the plexi-glass windows, be updated of the various construction projects going on. As I started biking to work, I would miss the daily progress reports and find myself stunned at how a building had replaced a parking lot in just a few short months.

More recently, I had been watching the Midtown Greenway bridge being built on strolls down Hwy 55. No longer taking that route, I was surprised to see that I missed the grand opening.

So, here it is: Minnesota's first cable-stayed bridge, the Midtown Greenway Bridge. It's an amazing design and I hope next spring to take a ride over it.




On more of a function, biking note.... I have often pondered biking to work (on my bicycle, not the motorbike). There are a variety of reasons why I haven't done it yet, but my greatest concern was bad weather. Turns out Minneapolis has a pretty cool program where, if you bike to work often, you can get vouchers for an emergency ride if needed. I guess this is what you get when you live in the 2nd best biking city in the nation.

Everything you could ever want to know about biking in Minneapolis

No comments: