Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Warning

Who knew water bottles could be so dangerous?! I recently saw this report on how different plastics can contaminate the water held inside. If you don't have time to watch the video, here is the cliff note version:

1. Look for the Triangle Recycling Number


2. Anything with the numbers 3, 6, or 7 should NEVER be used to hold water.

3. Anything with number 1 is safe for only one use

The bad guy: Bisphenol A . Seems like more research is needed, but overall they do know that this chemical causes increased risk of birth defects, miscarriage and prostate cancer. Since the water bottles leach this substance into the water, they believe your bottles may not be safe.

After seeing and reading this, I've had to toss my Nalgene. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Find a stainless steel or glass water bottle?

3 comments:

Al Iverson said...

OK, that's scary. The plastic cups I buy at the store to drink water from are #6. Ugh, wonder what I should do. I hate drinking water from glass, though.

gomattolson said...

very timely earth day post -- I've been meaning to write about the same thing, and how I need to stop my Nalgene use...which is very sad.

lizzardbeth said...

Eek! I've been using a #7 Nalgene for like 7 years!